Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week 49: Mi Despedida

Today I had my last Sunday in Argentina and the people of the congregation threw me a going away party (despedida in Spanish).  It was such a great day and it was fun just spending time with everyone and savoring the little time we had left together.  

Right now I have such a range of emotions running through me.  It is really bittersweet.  I am excited, happy, nervous, and anxious to head home but also sad and a little heartbroken to have to leave my new home when I just seem to be getting the hang of things.

After the church service we had a special lunch of homemade pizzas and empanadas.  I am really going to miss making, serving, and eating the food.  It is pretty yummy!  We also had a huge range of deserts.  For the first time in a year I had a brownie and lemon bar (they are not something people normally eat here).  It was also nice for me because everyone insisted that I sit down and do not serve lunch.  It was strange because I have been serving the food all year long but it was nice to sit with the kids and chat.    

Chabela and Valeria preparing the lunch
Alejandra, Xiomi, and Claudio
The deserts!
The prepared tables

After lunch I was presented with little gifts that the congregation had gotten for me and beautiful words of gratitude and blessings.  And when I thought it couldn't get any better the children surprised me with a song they wrote for me.  They dressed up Claudio as my "Argentine boyfriend" that I could bring back home with me as a joke.  It was a really cute song!  Below is a video of them singing the song.
 

Here are the words to the song:

Cuando la conocí a Rachel When I meet Rachel
Ella me hablaba y no le entendía She spoke to me and I did not understand her
Seguro se confundió Surely she was confused
Ella pensaba que estaba en china She thought that she was in China

Nunca me voy a olvidar, I will never forget,
Tantos momentos que compartimos All the moments we shared
Hermoso el mural, tanto que costó Beautiful mural, so much work
Si, que fue muy divertido Yes, it was really fun

Goodbye Rachel Goodbye Rachel
Se va a Estados Unidos She is going to the United States
Goodbye Rachel Goodbye Rachel
Que seas muy feliz We hope that you will be happy
No te olvides de todos tus amigos Don’t forget about all your friends
Aunque te vas, nos vamos a escribir Although you are going, we are going to write

Nos ensuciamos We got dirty
Nos pintamos We painted
Y nos pegamos And we hit each other

Rachel te voy a extrañar Rachel I am going to miss you
Nos hemos hecho buenos amigos We have became good friends
Pero por que no te llevas Why don’t you bring with you
Aaaa…un novio argentino? An Argentine boyfriend?

Claudio (my "Argentine boyfriend") and me
Everyone in front of the mural
Claudio, me, Anahi, and Yamila
Paula and me
Me, Emilia, and Kate
Pastor Angel, me and Chabela
I think the fact that I am actually leaving has not set in yet.  It all feels a little surreal.  I have already been telling people that I plan to come back and visit.  Everyone has been so kind and they have told me that I am always welcome and have a place to stay if I ever come back.  As I have already said this has been a great year and I am really going to miss everyone.    

No comments:

Post a Comment