Friday, July 15, 2011

Week 48: Tierra Santa

Our group at church before we left
This past Sunday we headed on a field trip with the youth from our church.  We traveled into the capital to visit a religious theme park known as Tierra Santa (Holy Land).  

To tell you the truth I am not really sure how I felt about this place.  I do not know if I appreciate it or if I just think it is really cheesy.  I had to hold back laughter a few times due to the cheesy factor.  I think I was the only one that found the park comical too...must be a cultural thing.  It is also strange to me that they make money and call it an amusement park.  Overall I think it is a great place to bring youth to learn and get excited about religion.  It really did make history come alive and I think the kids enjoyed it. 

The park is like a small Jerusalem that is supposed to transport you back to the time of Jesus.  Walking the streets of Jerusalem we became protagonists of the history of Jesus enjoying music of that time, typical foods and art in a "magical" atmosphere (so says the website).  

There were also "shows" running all day long.  The had four main shows: the creation, the birth of Jesus, the last supper, and the resurrection.  At the end of the day we went to them all.  For me these shows were the most cheesy part of the experience.  They were light shows with mechanical figures, music, and a deep-voiced narrator.  

From an artist side, I thought it was really well done.  The city looked very authentic and historically accurate (to me).

Here is the link to the Tierra Santa website.  It is in Spanish but it has more photos for those of you who are interested: http://www.tierrasanta-bsas.com.ar/tsweb/index_code.html

Waiting at the bus stop

Our group
My group of girls for the day and Johnny
Last Supper show
Part of the town
A close up of one of the statues that were all around in various poses. 
Replica of the wailing wall in Jerusalem, Israel
18 meter huge Jesus that was part of the Resurrection show.  That show consisted of this huge Jesus rising to the music of the Hallelujah Chorus.
Me hanging out with Martin Lutero (Martin Luther)
Sacred Heart Jesus and some of the group
Overlook of the Tierra Santa city

Hanging out with a Roman Soldier

No comments:

Post a Comment