Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week 49: Finished Mural!

Everyone at my going away party in front of the mural
This second part of my time here at church has been dedicated to planning, organizing, and painting a mural with the children.  I had a great time working on the project with the kids and it is something that they will be able to look back at and be proud of.  

We started by having a brainstorming session where I asked the kids what they liked to draw.  They said things like "flowers," "trees," and "birds" so I knew right away our theme was going to be creation.  After we picked our theme we had drawing sessions where they practiced drawing things that we could paint in the mural.  Then I helped them plan the layout.  The next Sunday after that we started sketching on the wall with charcoal. 

The white wall just begging to be painted with COLOR!
First day of painting after our under drawings
When the charcoal drawing was done we started to paint.  I mixed the colors and managed the painting.  The kids were so excited to start and they thought it was so great to be painting on a wall.  Even some of the kids that are "too cool" to participate in most activities got into the painting part.

Jose working on a tree with apples
A group of focused painters working on the sea
Another group of focused painters

The last day of painting 






No comments:

Post a Comment