Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Week Seven: Youth Workshop and Strawberry Bread!

Monday the 11th was a national holiday so there was no public school.  My church and a few other local churches planned a Youth (12+) Workshop for the day.  The topic was sexuality.  The idea was to educate the youth and to provide an open place for them to talk and ask questions.  

My church hosted the event and I got to be a part of it and help plan.  We started the day out with a little opening worship service.  The youth at my church planned and lead the service.  It turned out to be a beautiful day and we got to sit outside on the patio for worship.  

Singing at opening worship
Lighting the candles
After the worship service we played games and had some free time the rest of the morning until lunch was ready.  We played name games and other fun games.  I forgot how shy youth can be...there were two groups from different churches and they were really nervous to do anything in front of the each other...but with time they loosened up a little bit. 

Name Game
Human Knot Game
Playing UNO before Lunch
Mmmm Lunch...Pizza!
After lunch we had a speaker come in and talk to the youth.  After a big group meeting we broke off into little groups and discussed issues and concepts related to sexuality.  My group focused on the different topics youth are now required by law to be taught in school.  There was a long list and we discussed many of the topics on the list such as the right to say "no"/ no means no, objectification of other's bodies, what a loving relationship should consist of, and how to talk about sex with parents or other family members when they have questions.  

I think that the youth felt comfortable and it was a very open environment that they could ask anything they wanted.  I think it was a good idea to include this issue my church in their program for the youth.  It is great for them to know that this is a safe environment where they can share anything they need to.  Overall I think it was a successful day and the kids had fun!

My friend Emily was also here all day for the workshop and she stayed the night at my apartment.  We had a fun night of cooking and baking.  We made home-made hamburgers and had a yummy spinach salad.  We also decide to bake strawberry bread which turned out wonderfully!  It was the first time I used my oven because it has been hard to find baking powder/soda and other baking materials.  It has been difficult for me because (if you did not know) I LOVE to bake.  

YUMMY Strawberry Bread!
The Bakers!
Right now strawberries are in season and they are really tasty! I will have to find more things to cook/bake with them while I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment