Friday, May 13, 2011

Week 39: Friends of a Friend Visit

Famous Buenos Aires obelisk located downtown
Last week a friend (Katie) of one of my best friends (Jessie) took a 3 day bus trip from Peru to Buenos Aires to spend sometime in Argentina after the end of her volunteering position in Peru.  One of their other friends (Bill) flu to the Argentina from the US to spend a week with Katie.  I was lucky enough to get to meet them both for the first time and to spend a few of my days off with them. 

Ceiling frescoes in the ritzy shopping center known as Galerías Pacíficos
Galerías Pacíficos
We ate a wonderful (but pricey) lunch in the Galerías Pacíficos.  I had quesadillas with guacamole which is something very uncommon to eat in Argentina.
In front of their hotel
Overall we had a great time hanging out in the centro of Buenos Aires.  I got to do some of the touristy things that I usually do not get a chance to do.  I also saw the tourist side of Buenos Aires.  It is interesting because I am not really a tourist here but I am also not a native putting me in this random limbo land.  I have seen some of the harsh realities and the beautiful gems of Argentina that are generally hidden from the basic tourist.  I feel lucky to have been able to go deeper than tourist life here.  I have come to understand a great deal more about Argentina, its people, and culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment