Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week 28: February Newsletter: Living Simply and Sustainably

I try to reduce my ecological footprint as much as possible by recycling, reusing, reducing water usage, eating locally, and saving energy. I am not an extravagant spender and come from a middle class family where I have always had to work for things. As a young adult out of college, I have a limited income and try to save money and spend it wisely.

In Argentina, living simply and sustainably is a part of the YAGM program philosophy. We get paid enough to cover daily living expenses like food and simple necessities. Living in such an economical way has taught me how to work and live carefully on a budget. I closely keep track of what I spend and try to find ways to save money. One example of this is that I cook most of my meals and seldom go out to eat. I have found that little adjustments like this are useful ways to live on a budget.

This year I have been working in Argentina with an underprivileged community that lives mainly on a garbage dump. The experiences I have had here have shown me that living simply can also be a form of service to others. Gandhi once said, “live simply, that others may simply live” and I agree one hundred percent. I have begun to see what my comforts can cost others and I find it difficult to be at peace with consumer-based living when I know others are struggling just to find food to feed their families. Therefore it is imperative to live simply and sustainably so others can share in the world’s resources. It is also important to live in this way so that future generations can enjoy a healthy life and the richness of this earth.

Living simply and sustainably has become a spiritual practice as well as a socioeconomic statement. I find that having less and being more aware of my impact on this earth brings me nearer to God. I see the earth as a gift from God and spending time in nature is one of the ways I feel closest to God. Once we accept that the earth is part of God’s creation, like ourselves, it becomes evident that we are not superior to nature but a connected part of it. This means that the rest of creation is here to be interconnected to us, not controlled.

Consequently, living simply and sustainably is deeply tied to my faith and is a philosophy I promote. Living simply and sustainably has become a part of who I am. I have realized that I would like to more deeply engage in simple and sustainable living by continuing to uphold my commitment to sustainability, learning new ways to live more simply, and sharing ideas of simple and sustainable living with other.

Notable facts:

United States Americans constitute 5% of the world's population but consume 24% of the world's energy.

United States Americans throw out 200,000 tons of edible food daily.

Less than 1% of the world’s fresh water (or about 0.007% of all water on earth) is readily accessible for direct human use.

884 million people lack access to safe water supplies; approximately one in eight people.

A United States American taking a five-minute shower uses more water than a typical person in a developing country slum uses in a whole day.

Suggested documentaries relating to this topic:


The Eleventh Hour
Food Inc.
Blue Gold: World Water Wars

This month’s quotes for thought:


“Cut off from nature, we get sick inside. We lose our sense of belonging to the earth. This belonging fuels the core of energy inside us that sustains our activism. And when we lose that, we lose drive and power. We are not able to be the tree that holds the learning. The more we draw the earthly into our spirituality, the more responsive we become, and our responsiveness calls forth the responsiveness of others.” Sue Monk Kidd, The Dance of the Dissident Daughter

“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” Anne Frank

This month’s scripture quotes for thought:


Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? James 2:15-16

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but to the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4

They shall be like a tree planted by water, sending out its roots by the stream. Jeremiah 17:8

You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12

No comments:

Post a Comment