Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Week 14: Feria en La Plaza Mitre

A few weekends ago, the local community had a international fair celebrating its diversity.  The majority of the population in the community I live in has European decedents, especially German.  There are lots of people who can still speak German and there are many bilingual German/Spanish/and even English schools around.  

I went to the fair with Cristina my site supervisor at church and we had a good time looking at all the stands.  There were special food stands with food from many different countries.  The fair also had stands from provinces in Argentina.  It was nice to have Cristina with because she explained where the provinces are located and little facts about them.  They also had artisan stands selling anything and everything you could think of.  The artisan stands reminded me a lot of those good old Midwest craft fairs.   

BRATWURSTS!!
German Stand

They were selling fruit wines here.  We had a sample and man were they good!  I think this stand was from the province of Mar de la Plata.


MEXICAN FOOD o how I miss you.  I unfortunately did not buy anything from the Mexico stands...I had just eaten before I came!!  Little side note about Argentine culture: They cannot handle spicy foods.  They are the biggest wimps ever in that department. 
Man there were TONS of people...at times we had trouble walking.
Cristina (on the left) in front of the stand for the Argentine province that she grew up in. We had a tasty bread thing from this stand...unfortunately I cannot remember the name.
SWISS CHOCOLATE!!
Israel stand including balaclava.


The largest cheese wheel I have ever seen!!  Was probably a foot tall.
This purple budding tree has become my favorite tree here.  It is famous in Argentina and is know as a jacaranda tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment